Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 11 Build 22572 - Tabs in File Explorer [54838]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Windows 11 Build 22572 - Tabs in File Explorer [54838] Reply with quote

Here's an early look at an unannounced feature: Tabs in File Explorer!

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useless. In File Managers, panel should be side by side, not behind one another. Norton Commander, Volkov Commander, DOS Navigator, Total Commander, Midnight Commander - all the good File Managers did the same.
Apparently, MS never learns.
A bunch of idiots.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Useless. In File Managers, panel should be side by side, not behind one another. Norton Commander, Volkov Commander, DOS Navigator, Total Commander, Midnight Commander - all the good File Managers did the same.
A bunch of idiots.

Exactly! Norton Commander was my first file manager in 1990/1991. After that I used only the brilliant Volkov Commnader. Later FAR and Total Commander - I still use these two today. Under Linux Midnight Commander.

But you reminded me of DOS Navigator, I had completely forgotten about it. I had it on my computer for a while too, but I don't know why I didn't like it, although it did a lot of interesting things. Otherwise there were lots of different clones in a similar style i.e. 2 windows etc.

From my point of view, FAR is still a bit of a winner. Even though it doesn't fit into Windows 10 anymore, I still like it the best! If I code something, I like its editor - text and hex editor. Of course, I also love the Hiew tool.

Microsoft is a bunch of idiots. Apart from the fact that there is no proper file manager yet, they still fuck up the start menu, now in Windows 11 it's a complete massacre. I'm thinking about buying a Start Menu X license (https://www.startmenux.com/). So far I'm using Open Shell 4.4.169 under Windows 10.

But it seems that I will be able to skip Windows 11 altogether. I'm sure Microsoft has 2 teams. One team has been doing really bad products Windows Vista, Windows 8 and now Windows 11. The other team has been doing Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 7.) So let's see what Windows 12 will look like, then it's just Linux or retirement lol
rorycoffman
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 11 Build 22572 - Tabs in File Explorer [54838] Reply with quote

ggrobot wrote:

Read more... friday night funkin

Tabs are great. What I really would like is to have two tabs in one window side by side.
That would be amazing.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
Csimbi wrote:
A bunch of idiots.

Exactly! Norton Commander was my first file manager in 1990/1991. After that I used only the brilliant Volkov Commnader. Later FAR and Total Commander - I still use these two today. Under Linux Midnight Commander.

But you reminded me of DOS Navigator, I had completely forgotten about it. I had it on my computer for a while too, but I don't know why I didn't like it, although it did a lot of interesting things. Otherwise there were lots of different clones in a similar style i.e. 2 windows etc.

From my point of view, FAR is still a bit of a winner. Even though it doesn't fit into Windows 10 anymore, I still like it the best! If I code something, I like its editor - text and hex editor. Of course, I also love the Hiew tool.

Microsoft is a bunch of idiots. Apart from the fact that there is no proper file manager yet, they still fuck up the start menu, now in Windows 11 it's a complete massacre. I'm thinking about buying a Start Menu X license (https://www.startmenux.com/). So far I'm using Open Shell 4.4.169 under Windows 10.

But it seems that I will be able to skip Windows 11 altogether. I'm sure Microsoft has 2 teams. One team has been doing really bad products Windows Vista, Windows 8 and now Windows 11. The other team has been doing Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 7.) So let's see what Windows 12 will look like, then it's just Linux or retirement lol

Yeah they're pretty late with the "tabs" idea. Too little too late. I wish there were more expansive projects like https://cairoshell.com

I've been using Total Commander for donkeys years now... specifically, a custom modified version of the MAX-Pack release from a well known forum. Explorer isn't going to win me back any time soon Laughing

Not sure it's worth buying Start Menu X though, since Open Shell seems to do the job perfectly well and is open source.

I'm still on Windows 10 too, because there is ZERO incentive to make the jump. What is the incentive supposed to be anyways? 10 is stable so why would I jump to something new and effectively volunteer as a beta tester? I've seen benchmark comparisons for gaming and the results are a negligible ~1% difference.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe those fucking retards at MS have finally added some basic shit into the file explorer...

What next, maybe they'll have file sizes for folders...

I just been using Qttabbar since it came out like forever ago.

http://qttabbar.wikidot.com

No doubt the I'll continue using it as it will still provide better tabbar support than whatever those fucking dipshits at Microshite provide.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 11 Build 22572 - Tabs in File Explorer [54838] Reply with quote

rorycoffman wrote:
ggrobot wrote:

Tabs are great. What I really would like is to have two tabs in one window side by side.
That would be amazing.

That's called a 'commander', lol
An actual file manager, not some shit listview.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 11 Build 22572 - Tabs in File Explorer [54838] Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
rorycoffman wrote:
ggrobot wrote:

That would be amazing.

That's called a 'commander', lol
An actual file manager, not some shit listview.

Actually, it's called having two tab views in one window Laughing

Arguing listview/commander/file manager is just semantics.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. When someone says "Tabs are great", I feel the urge to correct them.
Tabs suck.
They have their use, but it's not in browsers and file managers.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Dunno. When someone says "Tabs are great", I feel the urge to correct them.
Tabs suck.
They have their use, but it's not in browsers and file managers.

Sure, in your opinion. Everyone has a different workflow that they use for efficiency-sake. Tabs are extremely helpful depending on the file management tasks, for example, I do a ton of file management/data archival across multiple local/network drives, so I absolutely require a commander style interface with tab support on both listers.

The majority of what I need to do is automated with PowerShell scripts, but there is still manual work.

Both Explorer and any "Commander" application, are fundamentally, file-management utilities. One is cut down for simplicity-sake with primary consideration given to those who are not computer-savvy, whilst the other is intended for power users. That isn't to say that Microsoft couldn't expand the features of Explorer to be as versatile as a commander (a discussion that has been kicking around since the Windows 2000-XP days), but something like that would definitely need to be locked behind an Advanced or administrator mode toggle.

Commanders are intimidating to the common user, but once a user finally wraps their head around them, it's impossible to go back to using regular ol' Explorer. The reason being? It's faster. I speak from experience, having converted many friends and colleagues, even going so far as to establishing a commander as a standardised workflow at one of my previous jobs.

Those who tend to oppose adapting to a commander, tend to be people who only perform very minimal tasks, such as downloading torrents, occasionally copying photos and movies from their phone over to their computer once every few months. Those people, incidentally, are also prone to having very messy desktops and download folders Laughing I treat my hard drives like I treat my bedroom and office space; keeping everything nice and tidy! But also, I don't want to waste a large part of my day performing these tedious tasks, so using a fast and efficient tool for the job is important.

If MS add tab support with the capability of locking two explorer windows together, this would probably be enough for the common user who is concerned about efficiency. As a bonus, it would be great if they allow a user to save a default explorer tab layout, with easy access to drive path bookmarks, similarly to double clicking on the current location field in Total Commander.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilhood wrote:
... so I absolutely require a commander style interface with tab support on both listers.

There you go. A good use of tabs in a commander.
With just tabs, that file manager would suck.
TotalCommander has tabs, too. You can open as many as you like.
But still, the base is the commander itself, tabs come on top.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
devilhood wrote:
... so I absolutely require a commander style interface with tab support on both listers.

There you go. A good use of tabs in a commander.
With just tabs, that file manager would suck.
TotalCommander has tabs, too. You can open as many as you like.
But still, the base is the commander itself, tabs come on top.

Now I'm wondering how best to describe it. Anyway a typical two window interface with a direct view of the files ie like Norton Commander gives me much more confidence in what I'm doing than any other file manager based on the Explorer component in Windows ie such a drag-drop as file explorer has always been which I really don't like Smile Maybe it's just a feeling, after all my first 15 years with a computer was just a keyboard. Mouse and graphics (Windows 95) didn't come until around 1996. So I always prefer the command line and an OS with primitive graphics without animations, the opposite of what Windows 11 offers lol.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good description, I feel the same way.
The mouse is for pussies. You can be much faster and accurate with hotkeys.
And I always had a mouse - even on a 286.
Serial mouse with a ball inside - if anyone remembers what that is - requiring constant cleaning...
I have not really used the mouse much until Windows because that was the only way to tell that stupid OS what I want to do...
I used it in games only.
At some point, we used two mouses to play Settlers in split screen coop... Oh, the good old days when we were young and invincible...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: